- It is a contemporary one-year study programme which corresponds to comparable and state-of-the-art studies of this type at various European universities. It has been developed according to the latest requirements of higher education of music teachers. It is all about a balanced combination of various types of knowledge and skills which have been grouped according to the needs of students and the society as follows: theoretical discipline-related courses, practical music courses within the discipline, basic mandatory courses in pedagogy, psychology and didactics, music education courses, elective courses, and longer teaching practice. Such programme will produce graduates who will have acquired a wide knowledge of general pedagogy, psychology and didactics, as well as specific professional knowledge in music and music education; who will be able to develop their own professional attitude profoundly and continuously, which will enable them to enter the labour market and to undertake targeted research activities; and who will be able to support their pedagogical decisions with rational, professional, and research-based arguments. Work-related competences of future graduates are not limited to school-teaching but extend also to other fields, such as culture, placement in art institutions or media houses etc. Future graduates can also be employed as music teachers in the second and third cycles of elementary school, including afterschool classes, and certain segments of secondary school education and music school education. In addition, students who will graduate from Music Education will be able to land jobs as répétiteurs, choirmasters in art institutions, radio stations and alike.
- The study programme will allow candidates to acquire interdisciplinary academic training and professional qualifications to handle any complex educational problems in a creative way. Graduates of the post-graduate second-cycle study programme will gain knowledge, experience and competences which will allow them to work independently on basic, research and application fields of music education. At the same time, they will have the possibility of continued study and lifelong learning, which is the foundation for creative professional work of high quality.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Methodology of Scientific Research (6)
- Multicultural Music Education (3)
- Reflective Teaching (4)
- Information-Communication Technology (3)
- Ethnomusicology (4)
- Selected Chapters from History of Music (3)
- Pedagogical Practical Work (7)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Elective course 1 (5)
- Elective course 2 (5)
- Master’s Thesis (20)
Electives for Music Theory module:
- Compositional Technique of J. M. Hauer (5)
- Orchestration (5)
- Vocal Instrumental Works (5)
Electives for Instrumental module:
- Performing Praxis of Solistic and Chamber Music (5)
- Esthetical Aspects of Compositional Technique (5)
- Jazz and Contemporary Improvised Music (5)
More informationVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
DisciplinesEducation Music View 6 other Masters in Education in Slovenia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/PEF_EN_20-21.pdf (page 2).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
Full-time students from Slovenia and other EU countries, and full-time students from non-EU countries who are granted international protection, applicants for international protection and persons from countries with which Slovenia has concluded bilateral agreement (i.e. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, B&H, and Serbia) pay NO TUITION FEE (except the part for studying in English, if applicable) if they have not already obtained an education corresponding to master's degree.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.