In this Master’s programme in Law and Economics at Utrecht University we focus on the practical and academic toolkit to operate in the world of leading corporates, law firms, policy-making organisations, regulatory and supervisory bodies, and economic or legal consulting. You will focus on such issues as the economic and legal aspects of market regulation and supervision, competitive strategy, competition policy, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, and finance and banking. You will learn from an interdisciplinary team of legal experts and economists who enhance the challenging course content with both theory and real-world knowledge. The interdependence of and useful interplay between economics and legal perspectives is the prime focus of the programme and is discussed from both the perspectives of the regulator and of the regulated. As a graduate of this programme, you will be uniquely prepared to bridge the gap between law and economics and contribute to addressing the relevant challenges of public and private organisations.
Career ProspectsLaw & Economics graduates typically find positions in industry, legal and economic consulting, and government agencies. In the public domain, typical jobs would be found within competition authorities and merger control departments. After completing this degree programme, you will have the skills and education necessary to work as:
- Compliance Officer in industry, which implies responsibility for running the legal and compliance department of a firm.
- Strategy advisor to the board of directors, concerned with advising board members of the implications of competitive strategies to expand/maintain market power.
- Mergers & Acquisitions consultant, with responsibility for dealing with competition authorities.
- Deal broker, with responsibility for matching acquiring firms with targets, both in a legal and an economic sense, while taking special responsibility for the quality of covenants.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
- Law and Economics of Market Regulation
- Methodologies of Law and Economics
- Advanced Eu Competition Law And Economics
- Competition And Regulation Of Network Sectors
- Supervision Of Markets, Enforcement And Agency Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEconomics International Law Legal Studies View 15 other Masters in Legal Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a bachelor in Law, or
- a bachelor in another discipline with a minor in Law (45 EC), including knowledge/competence in the field of European law, and:
- Knowledge/competence in the field of Principles of Microeconomics
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.