Many M.L.I.S. graduates go on to positions in other areas of the information field besides libraries in research, for example, or publishing, information management, competitive business intelligence and more. An accredited M.L.I.S. degree is the basic requirement for professional employment in most libraries and information centers.
Students can concurrently pursue a dual degree option with the Master of Business Administration degree. Each program makes an independent admission decision. For further information about the dual degree program, see the specific program section in this catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this Library and Information Science program from the Kent State University will be able to:
- Apply the field's foundational theories, principles, values, ethics and skills to everyday practice.
- Critique and synthesize research and identify appropriate research methodologies to solve problems in the field.
- Analyze and engage in the changing cultural, educational and social roles and responsibilities of librarians/information professionals and the environments they work in within the global society.
- Evaluate systems and technologies relevant to a particular information context.
- Identify needs and connect individuals and communities with information that engages and empowers them.
- The Information Landscape
- Information Organization
- People In The Information Ecology
- Information Institutions And Professions
- Research And Assessment In Library And Information Science
- Master's Portfolio In Library And Information Science
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Deadline- At least one month before the start of the semester of first coursework.
DisciplinesLibrary Science View 32 other Masters in Library Science in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE scores if total GPA is below 3.0 in highest completed degree1
- Résumé or curriculum vita
- Goal statement
- Exception statement (addressing circumstances and readiness for graduate education
- Writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
International21952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21952 USD per year during 12 months.
National21952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21952 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11766 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11766 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.