You will engage in, and experiment with, practical games design and develop a comprehensive and critical understanding of the advanced academic study of games and their theoretical, artistic and technological perspectives. You will also engage in the practice of making games and explore the factors that shape the games industry.
These are all activities that introduce you to the broader social culture of the digital and creative world and are vital to being successful in the games industry.
The Digital Games Theory and Design course from Brunel University London is run by staff who are seasoned games designers, internationally published scholars and pedagogical experts. They will share their enthusiasm and understanding of the nature of the video game industry, the importance of networks and the skills needed to create innovative games for the future.
Careers and your future
Upon completing the course, you'll have the potential to enter the games industry through a variety of jobs including level designer, quality assurance, project manager and games user researcher. Our MA will also help develop your expertise if you are already in industry and want to update your creative and technical skills to keep up with the latest developments in the dynamic field of games design.
With confidence in their skills and their abilities, our graduates leave the course prepared to enter the games industry, and many of them have gone on to work for prestigious organisations including King, Mediatonic, Rovio, Creative Assembly, Supermassive Games, and Ubisoft.
- Interdisiplinary Games Design
- Art Thinking for Games: Visual Design, Creativity & Style
- Games Development: Prototyping Tools, Methods & Techniques
- Game Studies: Concepts, Contexts, and Analyses
- Games Design: Engagement, Experience & Iterative Practice
- Dissertation in Digital Games
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design Video Games & Animation View 152 other Masters in Graphic Design in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree, or equivalent internationally recognised qualification, in Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Multimedia, Digital Design, Computing, or Electrical Engineering.
- Other subjects and qualifications with relevant games industry experience will be assessed on an individual basis and may also be considered.
International18410 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18410 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8735 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8735 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU applicants will have the same tuition fees as UK students
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.