Educators in this program will participate in curriculum consisting of theory, application, assessment, and implementation of research-based instruction through a supervised practicum experience. The practicum experience, composed of hands-on fieldwork, is designed to develop the skills necessary to teach students as well as to train other teachers in the area of literacy.
The online format provides educators with an opportunity to pursue a new career path within education while continuing to work as a classroom teacher. The program requires a total of 36 credit hours.
Students who complete the program receive a master's degree in secondary curriculum, teaching, and learning. The degree is available to both elementary and secondary school teachers. P-12 reading specialist certification is recommended with successful completion of this program.
Students must pass a comprehensive examination to complete the program.
In order to receive Alabama Class A Reading Specialist P-12 certification, individuals must hold Alabama Class B certification and complete the course requirements including 300 clock-hours of supervised practicum. Upon completion of the program, students must pass a comprehensive exam and the Praxis II.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Literacy: Theory & Research
- Beginning Reading in PK-Primary Grades
- Practicum in Literacy Coaching - covers students in a variety of grade levels
- Practicum - covering PK-2nd grade
- Expanding Reading in the Elementary Grades
- Advanced Practicum in Reading Education - covering 3rd - 6th grade
- Advanced Reading Specialist Practicum - covering middle and high school students
- Classics & Modern Literature for Children
- Adolescent Literature
- The Language Arts Program in Elementary Schools
- Improving English Instruction
- Seminar in Literacy Coaching
- Assessment & Instruction of At-Risk Readers
- Introduction to Educational Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Fully structured
- No Attendance
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesTeaching View 262 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
Two full years of K-12 classroom teaching experience.
International394 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 394 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National394 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 394 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.