The Renewable Energy Engineering and Management degree offered by the University of Freiburg is designed to close the strategic gap between the technical aspects of renewable energy and the policy drivers for sustainable development.
Climate change, finite resource availability, and environmental pollution are some of the greatest issues facing our society now and in the future. Renewable Energy Engineering and Management degree offered by the University of Freiburg can be a key solution to these problems, and the development, planning, installation, and operation of renewable energy technologies needs a highly skilled work force. The course is taught in English only to small groups of exceptional international students and meets international quality standards.
The concept of the M.Sc. course Renewable Energy Engineering and Management at the University of Freiburg is based on the following fundamental considerations:
- The course enables students to avail themselves of innovation in the field of renewable energy and to implement the concept of sustainable development for practical business purposes.
- Technical know-how and an awareness of societal problems are necessary qualifications, but are not of themselves sufficient. Additional management qualifications are required. These include technical knowledge, multidisciplinary ability in terms of team development, presentation and project management.
- The degree course is practical and problem-focused (projects, case studies, internship, a Master’s thesis on practical and relevant themes carried out in cooperation with industrial partners).
On completing this course, graduates will have acquired extensive technological know-how, combined with excellent practical management skills and will thus be well prepared for careers and future employment and careers in a variety of fields:
- Renewable energy companies
- Power supply companies
- Financing and Investment companies specialising in financing environmental projects, as well as investment and development banks
- Planning and Engineering companies
- Consultancy and information services (energy agencies, technology transfer institutions) and public relations
- Project Management.
- Energy and Sustainable Development
- Natural Resources and Conversion Technologies
- Climate and Energy Policy
- Research Skills and Ethics of Sustainable Development
- Energy Systems Operations
Two elective tracks are available in the MSc Renewable Energy Engineering and Managment programme:
- Energy Systems Technology (e.g. energy systems hardware, energy informatics, smart grids, energy efficiency)
- Renewable Energy Management and Planning (e.g. decentralized energy systems, landscape and nature protection, landuse conflict, bioenergy, management)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEngineering Management Sustainable Energy View 41 other Masters in Engineering Management in Germany
A CGPA/grade of 2.5 in the German grading system
1. Above average qualification* (B.Sc., [German] Diploma) in:
- Engineering (electrical engineering, energy management, process engineering, microsystems technology, mechanical engineering or environmental engineering) OR
- Natural sciences OR
- Applied life sciences (Forest or environmental sciences).
- Applicants must have mathematical fundamentals, engineering fundamentals, natural science fundamentals, and environmental science fundamentals totaling 50 ECTS (30 ECTS corresponds to 1 semester) from their bachelor program.
2. Very good English language skills (TOEFL internet-based 90 points, IELTS band 6; TOEFL should not be older than 2 years)
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Freiburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.