Address the central role of language and meaning as you further your academic and creative development.
Your learning will take place online alongside a lively global community. You'll have the option to attend bi-annual Writers' Weekends to reinforce your online relationships, collaborate on writing tasks and learn from practising writers, publishers and directors.
This qualification is ideal for writers of all levels. Knowledge sharing, constructive feedback and encouragement are central tenets of the course that create an inclusive learning atmosphere in which you can feel comfortable sharing your creative work.
Careers and skills
This Creative Writing course from University of York is enriching to writers at various stages of their writing journeys. As a graduate, you will have a newfound confidence in your personal writing as well as an established variety of transferable skills and a rich literary knowledge of a variety of genres and written forms.
Throughout the programme, publishing, performance and writing opportunities are regularly communicated to supplement your awareness of, and involvement in, the literary arena. You will also learn about editing, marketing, publishing and self-promotion; attributes attractive to employers in the creative industry and highly valuable to students hoping to publish their work.
Common careers for those with Creative Writing qualifications include:
- Advertising/digital copywriter
- Arts administrator and creative director
- Editorial assistant, proof-reader and editor
- Professional blogger
- Web content editor
- SEO (Search engine optimisation)
- Social media specialist
- Literary criticism and artistic reviewer
- Creative writing teacher
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Effective Creative Practice: Creativity, Theory and the Craft of Writing
- Critical Approaches to Creative Practice: Methodology, Research and Literature
- Compressed Fiction: The Art of the Short Story
- Poetic Power: Theory and Practice in Contemporary Poetry
- Sustained Fiction: The Novel as Narrative
- Dramaturgy, Sound and Screen: Scripting for Theatre, Radio, Film and Television
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 24 other Masters in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Typically, you'll be a graduate in a related subject area. We favourably consider students with a BA/BSc in any subject and evidence of recent higher education level of study in this area. We may ask you for academic work to support your application and any student may be called to interview.
International3040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3040 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA3040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3040 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.