The goal of the Distance Education and E-learning: Distance Education Teaching and Training program at University of Maryland University College is to educate managers and leaders in the field of distance education not teachers and trainers in specific content areas.
The objective of the teaching and training specialization is to educate managers to deal with the specific teaching related aspects of modern distance education both in the traditional teaching setting as well as in the corporate training sector. While the specialization focuses on teaching and training, there are close links to technology related aspects (for example, instructional design) as well as specific management related aspects (intellectual property, accreditation, and quality assurance).
- The MDE is a post-graduate program. The overall mission of the program is to educate leaders and managers of distance education and e-learning – a rapidly developing and expanding field.
- The professional profile itself is developing and, consequently, job titles are often generic (such as 'program director'). One needs to read a job description to find out the necessary details about the tasks and job requirements.
- Many graduates bring with them competencies from their first degree and professional experience on which they may want to build. For example, some graduates with a technical background, may find that the MDE provides just the 'added value' to qualify them as a technical director in a training institution. Such a position would not be available to all MDE graduates, nor would the position be available without the MDE (or an equivalent degree). The careers available for the MDE graduates and their level may also depend on prior experiences and qualifications. (It may, however, be the case that a MDE graduate of the policy & management specialization who has prior specialist ICT competencies may be eligible as technical director.)
- The Master of Distance Education and E-learning program serves a number of careers at mid-, or high-level positions, depending on the prior level of experience of the candidate.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Distance Education and E-learning
- Technology in Distance Education and E-learning
- Teaching and Learning in Online Distance Education
- Costs and Economics of Distance Education and E-learning
- Learner Support in Distance Education and Training
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Fully structured
- No Attendance
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 260 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Official documentation indicating successful completion of the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree: If you were educated in a country other than the United States, you must have your official transcripts evaluated by an independent credit evaluation service. The evaluation company will send a copy of the evaluation to both you and UMUC. However, providing your transcript does not ensure admission to the Graduate School.
- English language proficiency: If you were educated outside of the U.S., you need to demonstrate college-level proficiency in written English to UMUC.
International659 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 659 USD per credit and a duration of .
National480 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 480 USD per credit and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.