- Students living in New Zealand or offshore, commencing or returning to postgraduate study in selected programmes
Students interested in studying online will need to be granted approval to do so by the University. This also applies to students who have been granted approval to study online in previous semesters. Students will be required to demonstrate that COVID‑19 has impacted their ability to study on campus in 2021.
The Master of Indigenous Studies at University of Otago was developed as a way of engaging with indigenous issues and peoples. The degree was formulated on the basis that Māori, Pacific Island and other Indigenous peoples have unique bodies of knowledge about customary, environmental and cultural practices.
The degree prepares graduates for administrative and leadership roles with indigenous communities not only in New Zealand but also abroad. The course is aimed at those who already have a degree and have been part of an indigenous community. This is either through them being a member of an indigenous or ethnic community or working in an area that has an indigenous component. Additionally, those who have an interest in indigenous issues will find the course useful for further knowledge on the subject.
The MIndS programme is also available through Distance Learning. It is also an entry qualification for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and to date there are four former students who have completed a PhD after their MIndS.
- Indigenous Theory and Method
- Research Report
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology View 13 other Masters in Anthropology in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International16529 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16529 USD per year during 12 months.
National6025 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6025 USD per year during 12 months.
- National: $8,279.00
- International: $22,712
Living costs for Dunedin
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.