This Archaeology and Heritage MA degree offered at the University of Leicester explores approaches to the archaeological heritage in general, landscape archaeology, archaeology and education, and the archaeology of standing buildings. These fields are explored within a global framework, encouraging both critical intellectual engagement with more advanced academic research while developing skills and understandings in relation to with practical applications. The course materials have been developed for an international student body and are designed to be both relevant to your specific concerns and backgrounds, while seeking to extend horizons globally in new and exciting directions.
The four modules of this MA encourage you to develop new understandings, skills and interests at different scales, from the study of individual standing buildings to that of the largest landscapes. You will also explore in a critical way how archaeologists and others may engage with and interpret archaeological monuments, sites and landscapes to various audiences within ‘public archaeology’, engaging with a range of heritage discourses from Europe, North America, and beyond. The role and value of archaeology in education and society, in the broadest sense, is critically examined, exploring its educational roles in fundamental debates concerning the human condition and who we are, as well as the nature of the archaeological record and the past. How do we approach different kinds of archaeology? Why do we do it? Why do we do it as we do? Might there be other ways?
Distance learning offers you the opportunity to study flexibly, while still benefiting from full support of our expert academic staff. The course also gives you the option to defer studies if external demands require.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Archaeology and Education
- Archaeology of Standing Buildings
- Landscape Archaeology
- The Historical Archaeology of England
- Doing Historical Archaeology
- Critical Approaches to the Archaeological Heritage
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology History Landscape Architecture View 8 other Masters in Archaeology in United Kingdom
- A good second class (2:1, or equivalent) honours degree in Archaeology (or Anthropology in North America) or a closely related subject.
- If you have a degree in a less-relevant subject, you may be able to apply for this degree after completing specific conversion modules to an appropriate standard, by prior agreement with the Course Director.
- If you have extensive relevant professional experience (5 years or more) the Course Director may consider this, on an individual basis.
International8190 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8190 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA8190 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8190 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.