Open to applicants with a bachelor's degree in any field, it is an excellent opportunity for enhancing your educational background, professional qualifications or teaching credentials through individualized, in-depth and interdisciplinary research in specific areas under the guidance of faculty specialists.
The Sustainable Design program at University of Florida draws upon the diverse strengths of the College of Design, Construction and Planning (DCP) in architecture, building construction, historic preservation, interior design, landscape architecture and urban and regional planning. The program includes a minimum of 36 credits of course work, with eight credits applied toward a Thesis or Masters Research Project (MRP)
Why Choose a Low Residency-Distance Learning Program?
The Low Residency-Distance Learning format is ideal for students who have work or personal obligations that make relocating for further education impractical. Combining interactive online tools with intensive face-to-face workshops allows you to interact with students and instructors from around the globe. You have the added confidence that many studies in the last ten years have demonstrated that there is no significant difference in the learning outcomes experienced by students in a traditional classroom versus those in a distance-learning context. In fact a 12 year study by the on average, students in online learning conditions performed better than those receiving face-to-face instruction.
In addition, the asynchronous on-line content delivery (an open, flexible delivery) adapts to the challenges of your schedule. The MSD program is one of the few degrees in its class that blends online learning with a face-to-face interaction program between students and faculty. The cohort gathers in the fall and summer semesters at our Gainesville campus and at an international location for workshops in the spring semester built around the design studio project.
When you enroll in the MSD program, you have the same rights and privileges as any other UF graduate student such as access to our excellent digital library database, and academic advising.
- International Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Design Problem Solving
- Electives in Sustainable Design
- Sustainability Research
- Design Studio in Sustainability
- Ecological Issues in Sustainability
- Research Project Proposal Development
- Capstone Research Project
- Electives in Sustainable Design
- Cases of Sustainability in Practice
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Sustainable Development View 184 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United States
- A four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or a four-year international equivalent.
- Professional work experience-defined broadly-that can serve as a foundation for the field of sustainability. Some design experience or training is useful but not required as this is an interdisciplinary program.
- A statement of purpose for enrolling in the program (approximately 2 pages double spaced).
- Three letters of recommendation from people qualified to assess your academic performance or professional experience.
International30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 18 months.
National30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 18 months.
In-State12740 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12740 USD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Gainesville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.