Your science discipline will be put in a broader societal perspective, and you will develop your own views on how your discipline should be relevant to secondary education and to the public at large.
The internships and the research project in science education and communication will support you to develop as a skillful practitioner as well as an innovator.
This two-year programme can be your gateway to careers, such as:
- Teacher in secondary or higher education
- Educational design
- Science writing or editing
- Museum education
- Science education research.
As a graduate of this programme, you will have:
- A deep understanding of your science discipline in a societal and educational context.
- Professional skills as a teacher, a designer, and a communicator.
- Mastery of systematic research approaches to evaluate and improve your professional practices.
- Attitudes and skills as reflective practitioners, in terms of subject specialist knowledge, skills and pedagogical practices.
The career prospects for our graduates are good. Approximately half of our students start a career as teacher. Others find a job as an educational researcher at a university, or they find a job in another setting in which they can transmit their science knowledge to others.
Getting Started As A Teacher
After completing the track Teacher Degree, you will be qualified as a teacher for one of the school subjects in both lower and upper secondary education.
The employment prospects for teachers in science subjects are generally good, but there are differences between school subjects. There are many vacancies for teachers in chemistry, computer science, physics, and mathematics, and there are fewer opportunities for biology teachers.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Learning Line ‘vision on Discipline and Education’
- Learning Line ‘educational Design’
- Learning Line ‘science Communication’
- Learning Line ‘research Methods in Science Education’
- Research Proposal
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Teaching View 35 other Masters in Education in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The programme Science Education and Communication (SEC) is open to students who meet the requirements below:
- You hold a Bachelor's degree (BSc) with a major emphasis on one of the natural sciences, mathematics or computer science. In addition, the successful candidate will have a strong interest in both the theories and the practices of Science Education and Communication,
- You will avail of social and communicative competencies at a sufficient level to grow into a Science Education and Communication professional
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20715 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20715 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.