Our two-year Master’s programme in Energy Science is aimed at students with a background in science or engineering who want to play a role in the transition towards sustainable energy systems. It offers an interdisciplinary approach for anyone willing to help with the big energy challenges ahead of us.
Graduates of the Energy Science programme at Utrecht University should be able to find employment in the private sector (energy companies), public sector, consultancy, and NGOs. Graduates will also find positions in international bodies, such as the European Union and the International Energy Agency. Energy Science graduates have found jobs like Portfoliomanager, Junior Scientist, Advisor and Presale Engineer at:
- City of Amsterdam
- Green Giraffe
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Energy in the Context of Sustainability
- Energy Conversion Technologies
- Advanced Energy Analysis
- Energy Systems Modelling
- Natural Science Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology Sustainable Energy View 26 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You are welcome to apply for the Energy Science Master’s programme. Please take into account that this is a selective master. You will be considered for admission to the programme if you hold a University Bachelor's degree and can demonstrate a high level of knowledge, motivation and command of methods and skills in the field.
With regard to the educational requirements you should possess:
- background in either the life, natural and/or social sciences;
- a strong affinity in the field of mathematics and for natural sciences (systems analysis and e.g. chemistry, physics, biology, energy science);
- a solid foundation in thermodynamics (e.g. properties of a substance, ideal gas equation of state, first and second law of thermodynamics, energy balance, download an example exercise here);
- knowledge of energy analysis;
- general insights in emerging technology issues and complex multidisciplinary problems;
proven research skills.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20750 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.