The MSc Environment, Politics and Development programme at SOAS University of London is taught and convened by leading political ecologists and offers a critical analysis of key issues including water, forestry, climate, fisheries, agricultural production, biodiversity, conflicts and energy supply.
The MSc programme’s emphasis on transferable analytical skills has been of great benefit to the many graduates who have returned to, or taken up, professional careers in development in international organisations, government agencies and non-government organisations.
Students also benefit from the wide range of modules on offer, both within the Department and across the School, allowing them to create individualised interdisciplinary programmes.
An MSc Environment, Politics & Development from SOAS provides graduates with a portfolio of widely transferable skills sought by employers, including analytical skills, the ability to think laterally and employ critical reasoning, and knowing how to present materials and ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
Equally, graduates are able to continue in the field of research, continuing their studies either at SOAS or other institutions. An MSc in Environment, Politics & Development is a valuable experience that provides students with a body of work and a diverse range of skills that they can use to market themselves with when they graduate.
Former graduates have gone on to work for a range of organisations, including Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), DFID, Aga Khan Foundation, The Energy Institute, Green Peace, Deloitte and Mind, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mauritius, Liberty.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Political Economy of Development
- Theory, policy and practice of development
- Political economy of violence, conflict and development
- Civil society, social movements and the development process
- Law and Natural Resources
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
120 taught credits (including core, compulsory and optional modules) and a 60 credit dissertation
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development Political Science View 271 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- We understand that the coronavirus has had an impact on the ability of students from many regions to take the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic test, as test centres have been closed. We therefore will be accepting the Duolingo, the LanguageCert and the TOEFL IBT At Home online tests from all International and European applicants for the September 2020 intake.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22840 GBP per year during 12 months.
National13360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13360 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £6,680/year
- Overseas: £11,420/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK: £4,450/year
- Overseas: £7,610/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.