In particular, the Master's programme in International Development Studies at Utrecht University focuses on topics surrounding migration/mobilities, climate change, land governance, urbanisation and corporate social responsibility. You will study in an international environment, with peers and staff from diverse disciplinary and cultural backgrounds. A research-oriented internship - preferably abroad - is a core component of the programme. International Development Studies takes prides in its large, expanding, and active alumni and friends network.
IDS graduates thrive in work fields that require understanding of global affairs, international experiences as well as analytical, communication, and project implementation skills.
Following recent policy changes at national and international level, IDS graduates have increasingly found employment in non-traditional development fields such as the private sector.
- Research positions: conducting academic and applied research into development issues in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Policy positions: preparing and coordinating policy, advising on, and planning international development cooperation (e.g. in UNDP, FAO, Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- Implementation positions: serving as local project managers and coordinators (in NGOs or the private sector, e.g. as corporate social responsibility or sustainability advisors).
- PR/communication positions related to development issues.
- Following recent policy changes at national and international level, the number and size of organisations involved in international cooperation have increased considerably. Consequently, there is a growing need for professionals who are able to integrate elements from various disciplines into the analysis of complex development-related issues.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
- Development Theories
- Development Themes
- Advanced Methods and Techniques for International Development Studies
- Migration, Mobilities & Sustainable Futures
- Real Estate
- Healthy Cities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 46 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Netherlands
You are eligible for the Master’s programme International Development Studies provided you fulfil the following admission requirements:
- An (inter)national academic Bachelor degree in Human Geography and Planning or a related subject such as Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, International Politics, Liberal Arts and Sciences and Environmental Sciences, with a clear and demonstrable international development orientation;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, both quantitative and qualitative methods for research in Social Sciences;
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.