Emerging technologies and practices in transition
The Research Master’s is aimed at excellent students from both the Netherlands and abroad, who have a background in the history and theory of contemporary art, or media and performance studies.
Emerging media, art and performance
As a student of the Media, Art and Performance Studies programme at the Utrecht University , you will be introduced to and specialise in new research areas and methodologies, necessary for investigating emerging media, performance and contemporary art forms within today's rapidly changing culture. In relation to this you will also reflect on the role of the Humanities in both academic and public debates.
This English-language programme prepares you for PhD studies in the Netherlands or abroad. After graduation you will also be qualified for positions in academic or research institutes or cultural organisations requiring specific academic skills in media, art and performance studies at Master's level. The programme can also be an excellent starting point for a career in cultural policy and consultancy in the media sector or art world.
Graduates also find their way to other job markets. For example, an alumnus of the programme now works as a researcher on issues in media history in the Dutch television industry.
Another one has been recruited by the Dutch Ministry of Culture and Education and a third is cross-media researcher at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam. Others work successfully in the domain of media consultancy.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Humanities Today
- Research Lab Media, Art and Performance Studies
- State Of The Art: Transformations In Media, Art And Performance Studies
- Body, Mind, Method: Technology, Embodiment, Perception
- Data Driven Research And Digital Tools For Media, Art And Performance Studies
- Play, Perform, Participate
- Between Media, Art And Performance: Multimedia, Transmedia, Intermedia
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 40 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the Master's programme Media, Art and Performance Studies if you have a Bachelor’s diploma in Humanities from a Dutch or international university and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You have a clear interest in Media, Art and Performance Studies as shown by having taken at least 45 EC worth of courses within these fields on Bachelor's level.
- You have demonstrable knowledge of the main types of (current) research issues and methods in the field of Media, Art and/or Performance Studies.
- You have knowledge, insight and skills that are required for designing and carrying out research; these you must be able to demonstrate through references and/or grades that are above average, or equivalent thereof.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.