By drawing on the knowledge and clinical experience of a world-class department of clinical and health psychology, the programme aims to equip students with the knowledge necessary for understanding children and young people’s mental health and well-being from this unique perspective. The programme will also draw upon many other theoretical areas, including early intervention, health promotion, public health, health and social inequalities, critical psychology, developmental psychopathology and resilience.
The programme is part time, fully online, and has been designed with professionals in mind; the online delivery format and part-time study options allow for professionals from a range of disciplinary backgrounds to develop knowledge and practice whilst continuing to meet individual life and work demands.
The core elements of the Mental Health in Children and Young People - Psychological Approaches (Online Learning) programme from The University of Edinburgh include both conceptual and applied courses. At the conceptual level, the programme will review different theories of children and young people’s mental health involved in the complex structure of typical and atypical development. At the applied level it will include the application of psychological knowledge to difficulties experienced by children and young people and the critical appraisal of psychological knowledge and practice.
Distinctive features of the course, include:
- the critical integration of clinical and professional practice with current theoretical and empirical developments in the evidence base for, and delivery of, mental health programmes for children and young people
- flexibility of delivery
- opportunities for knowledge exchange between range of graduates and practitioners from multi-professional backgrounds
- many opportunities for the synthesis of theory, evidence and practice
Graduates of the programme can expect to develop key skills and abilities, which are transferable to a number of professional domains, including:
- knowledge and understanding of the developmental and well-being literature
- research and enquiry skills
- personal and intellectual autonomy skills
- technical and practical skills
- communication skills
The programme has been designed to enhance the career development of a range of professions involved in the provision of psychological health and care by improving awareness and application of psychological theory to clinical practice and by broadening the theoretical base from which professions practice.
Previous students have continued to work in, or entered, a range of professions including:
- Clinical practice
- Social work and social care
- Voluntary sector organisations
Recent graduates interested in working in the area of child and adolescent mental health would also benefit from this programme. The degree demonstrates a student's high level of commitment to working with children and young people.
There are a number of qualification routes available; students enrol on the MSc programme pathway and can exit at any of the following qualification junctures:
- Postgraduate Certificate
- Postgraduate Diploma
Courses offered as part of the programme include:
- Developmental Wellbeing
- Social Inequality and Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Research Methods in Applied Psychology (OL)
- Applied Developmental Psychopathology (OL)
- Trauma and Resilience in a Developmental Context
- Critical Psychology and Child Mental Health
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
If you are also applying for funding or will require a visa then we strongly recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Psychology Cognitive Sciences View 142 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent in psychology, social science, or a related subject. We may also consider your application if you have a UK 2:2 honours degree, or its international equivalent, if you also have a postgraduate qualification.
- You must have experience of working or volunteering with children and/or young people.
- We may also consider your application if you have other professional qualifications or experience; please contact us to check before you apply.
International6850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13700 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National6850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13700 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.