Education's importance for individual life chances and societal development continues to rise worldwide. Changes in schooling, vocational training and higher education as well as informal, inclusive and lifelong learning emphasize this growing significance.
English-language-based, the Master in Social Sciences and Educational Sciences from the University of Luxembourg distinctively unites social scientific analysis of education and social systems and policies at local, national, European, and global levels. It combines historical, cultural, political, educational and sociological perspectives on educational institutions and organizations as well as their conditions and their consequences.
As a student, you will analyse changes in ideas, institutions and organizations caused by social, economic and political integration and compare the development of educational and social policies, schooling and social services across time and space. Particular emphasis is on Luxembourg, its neighbouring countires Germany, France and Belgium, and Europe within the context of internationalization. Innovatively, the approaches and methodologies of a variety of academic disciplines, including educational science, history and sociology, are jointly utilized in analysis and problem-solving.
Students will be prepared to either continue their academic career in the University of Luxembourg’s intensive doctoral programmes or transition to a wide variety of national or international organisations, governments, foundations or associations throughout Europe and beyond.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comparative Education and Internationalization
- Qualitative and Quantitative Social Science Methods
- Skills in Writing and Statistical Analysis: Academic Writing in English; STATA
- Sociological "Classics" on Social Structure and Education
- Contemporary Research on Education & Society
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (180 ECTS) in an educational or social science (or multiple disciplines) and have a strong interest in theoretical perspectives and excellent methodological skills.
- Selection is based on the application documents and a personal interview.
The application must include:
- letter of motivation (2 pages describing your academic preparation and interests)
- curriculum vitae
- transcripts of prior academic work
- contact details of a referee and/or a letter of reference
International400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 200 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 200 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.