The common subjects the Linguistics (with specialist pathways in English Language and Language Acquisition) programme from Newcastle University covers include theoretical and general linguistics, descriptive linguistics, applied linguistics, and combinations of these specialisms. By choosing one of the pathways, you will be able to focus on your area of specific interest.
By the end of the course you will understand and engage with ideas at the forefront of linguistic research and address linguistic questions and problems currently being debated.
Quality and Ranking
We rank in the top 150 for English Language and Literature and in the top 100 for Linguistics- QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019
During two 12-week semesters you will study six modules delivered through lectures, seminars, workshops and field work. These are supplemented by academic events and invited international specialists. You work closely with your supervisor on a 15,000 –18,000-word dissertation.
- Research Methods in Language and Linguistics
- MA Linguistics Dissertation
- Syntactic Analysis and
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Generative Syntax
- Issues in Phonological Theory
- The Sociolinguistics of Language and Society
- Diachronic Syntax
- The Social History of English
- Ethno-Linguistic Variation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in:
- a language (studied on its own or with another subject)
- a discipline primarily involving the scientific study of human cognition or behaviour (eg cognitive science, psychology, anthropology, sociology)
We will also consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and at least two years relevant professional experience.
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part time: £4,800
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.