Discover the history and culture of the great pre-modern civilisations
Within this long period, you can focus on your academic interests by choosing one of the following tracks:
- Ancient Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Early Medieval Insular Languages and Cultures
- Renaissance Studies
Within each track, you will work with source materials in their original languages, including in manuscript form. The Ancient Studies track has a keen interest in cultural interactions within and between ancient civilisations and includes a variety of research methods, such as archaeology and epigraphy, to the study of the ancient world.
The Medieval Studies and Renaissance Studies tracks go beyond a solely historical approach by including courses in literature, linguistics, art history, musicology, and history.
In the Medieval Studies track, you may specialise in either Medieval History, Medieval Art History, Medieval Literature, or Medieval Musicology.Early Medieval Insular Languages and Cultures combines literary studies with historical linguistics.
Careers after the Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance Studies programme at Utrecht University
To assist you in preparing for life after university as a scholar of Antiquity, the middle Ages or the Renaissance, we offer three courses on ‘cultural transfer’ in the second year. In these courses, you become acquainted with ‘Premodern sources in modern contexts’, ‘tangible and intangible heritage’, and ‘theory and practice in archaeology and monument preservation’. You are also eligible for a work placement in ancient, medieval and renaissance studies.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Potential of the Past: The Classical Tradition
- Knowledge and Skills in Ancient Studies: Epigraphy
- Knowledge and Skills: Medieval Paleography
- AMRS in practice
- Research school OGK
- RMA thesis Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Linguistics View 64 other Masters in History in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You will be considered for admission to the Research Master’s programme in Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Studies if you have a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university (or foreign equivalent) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight, and skills:
- You have a clear interest in research in one of the fields of Ancient, Medieval, Celtic, or Renaissance Studies, shown by having taken at least 45 EC in the field at the Bachelor’s level (or equivalent).
- You are able to design, perform, and report on research in primary or secondary sources, as evidenced by a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s thesis.
- You have a strong motivation to do independent research, which is discussed convincingly in your motivation letter.
- You are able to express yourself in proficient English, both orally and in written text, as evidenced by your motivation letter and/or writing sample, and the interview that is part of the selection procedure.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.