During the Modern British Studies programme offered by the University of Birmingham, you will benefit from the expertise of a large number of British historians at Birmingham, who will both teach on the programme and provide expert supervision for your dissertation.Why study this course?
- Research expertise – Times Higher Education ranked the Department of History first in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise. The Department is also home to a dedicated research centre in this area, the Centre for Modern British Studies.
- Excellent reputation – the University of Birmingham has been ranked as one of the world's top 100 institutions to study History in the World Rankings.
- The city – one of the real strengths of studying Modern British Studies at Birmingham is the city itself. The Department has many links within the city for you to work with, you will have access to a range of fantastic libraries and collections and even the physical built environment of the city represents the history of modern Britain.
- Join an active and vibrant department – you will have the opportunity to attend research seminars, conferences, and reading groups outside of your studies.
- Access to a wide range of services – as a postgraduate student you will have access to services such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work which will aid your transition from undergraduate to postgraduate level, or back into academia after a time away.
Birmingham’s History graduates develop a broad range of transferable skills that are highly valued by a range of employers. These skills include: familiarity with research methods; the ability to manage large quantities of information from diverse sources; the ability to organise information in a logical and coherent manner; the expertise to write clearly and concisely and to tight deadlines; critical and analytical ability; the capacity for argument, debate and speculation; and the ability to base conclusions on statistical research.
Over the past five years, 93% of History postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation. Some of our History postgraduates go on to use their studies directly, for example in heritage, museums or the armed forces; others use their transferable skills in a range of occupations from finance to fundraising.
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: Royal Air Force; Ministry of Defence; University of Birmingham; Royal Air Force Museum; and University of Oxford.
More informationVisit official programme website
- New Directions in Modern British Studies
- Sites and Sources in Modern British Studies
- Historical Methods
- Research Skills: Dissertation Preparation
- A Holiday from Reality': A History of Drugs and Drug Use in the Modern Era
- George Orwell, England and the Modern World
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Modern History View 485 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- You will need an Honours degree in a relevant subject, normally of an upper second-class standard.
International18450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Part-time fees: UK/EU: 4,625 GBP per year
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.