You will be taught by a vibrant community of philosophers, pursuing original research on a wide range of topics on which expert supervision is available. This Philosophy of Religion and Ethics (Distance Learning) programme from University of Birmingham can also be used as a route into PhD research.
By studying philosophy you can develop many skills that are useful in both academic and non-academic settings:
- Critical thinking skills: Good philosophers can analyse problems and assess opinions from different viewpoints. Philosophers do not take anything for granted. This is highly useful for problem-solving and decision-making.
- Communication skills: Good philosophers can present and explain abstract concepts and complex arguments in an accessible manner. They are also good at persuading others by presenting logical and coherent arguments.
- Writing skills: Good philosophers can communicate effectively in writing. They can write clearly and concisely without compromising rigour.
- Research skills: Good philosophers can identify problems and collect necessary information to resolve them in a timely manner.
Why study this course?
- Taught by experts – you will be taught by some of the finest minds in Philosophy. Times Higher Education ranked the Department of Philosophy second in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise.
- Flexibility – you can study at home, in your own time and at your own pace, so you can combine achieving a qualification with work or family commitments. You also have the benefit of developing your career without having to leave employment.
- Career changing – a qualification from the University of Birmingham can be the springboard to promotion with your current employer, the platform from which to launch a new career or simply a way to become more effective in your current role. Studying at Birmingham is a rewarding and enriching experience that brings about significant personal development.
- Support – there is always support available from tutors at the University. The programme is designed to keep you in touch with fellow students and tutors. Our ‘virtual learning environment’ provides a focal point and help provide a structure for your learning. You will be assigned a personal tutor. Personal tutors are available to answer questions regarding the content of your programme, and also to give advice and provide clarification if you don't understand something, for example what an assignment question demands.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- God, Freedom and the Meaning of Life
- Ethics and Global Ethics
- Philosophy of Health and Happiness
- Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science
- Contemporary Theology of the Holy Spirit
- World Christianity in the Twentieth Century
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 8 other Masters in Christian Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You will need an upper second-class Honours degree, or equivalent, preferably in Philosophy, Theology or another relevant subject (e.g. Sociology, English).
- If your undergraduate degree is in another subject, you are still very welcome to apply. We consider every application on its merits and we are happy to consider applicants with diverse academic backgrounds. Your level of academic achievement, letters of reference, and personal statement will all have strong influence on our decision. We may also require you to submit a writing sample.
- We ask you to submit two academic references as part of your application, but if you have been out of academia for some time we will also accept a professional reference in addition to one academic reference.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- Part-time, all students: £4,905
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.