We offer three MSc programmes that provide you with a high-quality and thorough training in economics and econometrics.
The programmes are research-oriented and are highly challenging, making heavy use of analytical theory, mathematics and statistics.
The Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics (SGPE) is part of a unique collaborative venture that combines the teaching expertise of eight Scottish universities:
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Dundee
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- Heriot-Watt University
- University of St Andrews
- University of Stirling
- University of Strathclyde
The Economics - Economics (Econometrics) - Economics (Finance) programme is offered by The University of Edinburgh lasts one year, or two years if taken part-time). Each route leads to the award of any of the following:
- MSc Economics
- MSc Economics (Finance)
- MSc Economics (Econometrics)
Our graduates have found employment in a wide variety of private and public organisations in the UK and abroad including:
- financial services
- Civil Service
- UK Government Economic Service
- Department for International Development
- economists with overseas development agencies and international institutions
- research economists with journals and media agencies
Our MSc programmes are research-oriented and act as a pathway into PhD study globally.
Our programmes are the only Economics and Social Research Council (ESRC) recognised pathway to PhD economics study in Scotland.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Our MSc programmes will equip you with the tools a professional economist needs to work in government or in international organisations, to conduct economic research.
- We deliver rigorous training in the core areas of economics to give you comprehensive knowledge in the latest analytical and quantitative techniques.
- You will also gain a firm grounding in mathematical and econometric techniques, as well as microeconomics and macroeconomics.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Finance View 574 other Masters in Economics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A strong UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in economics or mathematics related subjects. We look for high grades from your undergraduate studies covering calculus and integration, probability theory and linear algebra.
- Some applicants may receive an offer that is conditional on successful completion of our SGPE Summer School.
- You can apply without having a graduate admissions exam result (GRE or GMAT). Your application, however, may be substantially stronger if you do include such a result. We generally look for a quantitative reasoning result in the 80th percentile or higher. We do not formally consider results from the Verbal and Analytical sections in our assessment of your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.