The Master of Forensic Sciences at the National University is grounded in the study of basic human anatomy, components of death investigation, analysis of disease and trauma, and identification of unknown dead persons. You’ll learn how to professionally interact with forensic pathologists and investigators, and how to apply scientific methods to the resolution of legal problems.
The master’s in forensic science program provides two areas of specialization. The specialization in Criminalistics includes courses in trace evidence, advanced forensic toxicology, advanced forensic serology and DNA, forensic anthropology and archeology, and more. The specialization in Investigation focuses on advanced forensic investigative techniques for the field, giving you a comprehensive understanding of the concepts underlying the forensic sciences.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Explain basic human anatomy, components of death investigation and techniques used for analysis of diseases and trauma, identification of unknown dead bodies; and to professionally interact with the forensic pathologist and medico-legal death investigators.
- Apply the technical procedures and methods of collection, preservation, chain of custody, analysis, comparison and report preparation of the biological, trace and toxicological evidentiary evidence.
- Analyze the basic principles and the role of crime scene investigators in forensic and legal procedures.
- Apply the basic principles of forensic photography, and explain the legal issues related to forensic photography and courtroom or trial presentation.
- Apply profiling knowledge and crime scene analysis methods to crime scene variables.
- Analyze the legal, ethical, and constitutional tensions between the interests of society, and the rights of individuals in connection with various criminal procedures and contexts.
Forensic Science is designed for those wishing to pursue a career in forensic sciences, criminology, investigations, law enforcement, private or government agencies, jails and correctional institutions, and medical examiner’s offices. The Criminalistics specialization provides preparation for work in crime and forensics laboratories, law enforcement agencies, private forensic and genetics laboratories, and research institutes. The Investigations specialization assists individuals pursuing careers in forensic crime scene and death investigations, medical investigations, private investigation and jail/correction areas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Forensic Pathology
- Forensic Anthropology
- Forensic Photography
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Fingerprint Analysis
- Digital Evidence
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Online intakes: Monthly
DisciplinesForensic Science Criminology Genetics View 23 other Masters in Genetics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university where an overall grade point average of 2.5 or better was achieved, or where a grade point average of 2.75 or higher was achieved in the last 90 quarter units.
- Students with a grade point average of 2.0 to 2.49 may be admitted to the University if they have a satisfactory score on one of the following tests: GMAT, GRE, Miller Analogies Test, or an approved, standardized program-specific exam. These tests are NOT required for those with a GPA over 2.5.
- Students with an undergraduate grade point average of 2.0 to 2.49 may be accepted to National University on a probationary status (instead of taking the above tests).
- Preliminary documentation of prior education must be presented at required interview with an admissions advisor. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Proof of Financial Support: $33,500
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1989 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1989 USD per module during 12 months.
National1989 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1989 USD per module during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.