You are encouraged to complement this with opportunities to learn Welsh within the vibrant environment of Bangor University and the wider community where the language can experienced as a living entity.
Within the flexible course framework, we can tailor the contents to suit your individual interests and you will be supervised by specialists in their different academic fields.
As well as being a qualification in its own right, the Welsh (Cymraeg) MA at Bangor University provides an excellent foundation for further research at PhD level.
Enhancing your knowledge and developing your skills helps strengthen your career prospects and prepares you for a wide variety of jobs, e.g. as researchers, educators, journalists, translators, language officers and local government personnel.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Your course will be structured and tailored accordingly and you will have a dedicated course supervisor, who will be an expert in your chosen field of study.
- If, on the other hand, you wish to undertake a study of modern Welsh literature and culture, or aspects relating to the language itself, we will be able to accommodate your academic interests.
- We also warmly welcome students who wish to embark on a structured Welsh MA course which may be comparative in nature, linking the study of Welsh with areas such as English literature, medieval studies, European languages, language revitalization, Arthurian studies, history, religion, philosophy, gender studies, political theory and nationalism.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The University will accept applications throughout the year, but we would generally advise that you send in your application form by the end of June.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 576 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- A 2.ii undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (e.g. Welsh Language/Literature, English Language/ Literature, History). This course is suitable both for students who have fluency in Welsh and for those who aim to acquire – in a rigorous academic context – a greater understanding of the language, its literature and of Welsh culture in general.
- Successful applicants whose first language is not Welsh will have the opportunity to take Welsh lessons.
- Applicants with equivalent qualifications or experience and applications from working professionals with non-graduate qualifications will be considered on an individual basis. Please contact us for more information.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.