The aim of the education is to find and enhance the student’s personal artistic vision, to extend his/her professional competence and/or specialisation and to provide skills needed for doctoral studies. Along with broad-ranging professional skills, the goal is to obtain the ability to develop the student’s own field in a creative and independent manner. Design for Theatre, Film and Television - Production Design students from Aalto University are expected to work independently and to play an active role in planning their studies.
In particular, the training prepares students to be production designers in film and television. Through the skills provided by the programme and their further adaptation, it is also possible to work in digital production design. In addition, a production designer also has the possibility to apply their skills in other work related to graphic design and the use of space, such as in the production of different kinds of performing arts, as a concept designer, or as a designer for exhibitions and fairs.
The degree includes 30 credits of elective studies. They allow the student to complement his/her degree according to personal orientation or deepen his/her competence in a desired area.
Graduates of the programme can work in many positions: set designer, production designer, Art Director, Production Designer, concept designer, exhibition designer, interior designer, researcher, teacher.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Group Dynamics and Leadership
- Contracts and Copyrights
- Wellbeing at Work
- Entrepreneurship and Working Life Skills
- Artistic and Technical Breakdown of the Script
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Film, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 14 other Masters in Design in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We seek for applicants with artistic talent and personality, the capacity for illustrative and spatial understanding, readiness to work in a group and the ability to express oneself. A bachelor’s degree completed in the field or equivalent knowledge and skills is a requirement for admission.
Evaluation criteriaThe criteria we use to evaluate the applications in the first stage are
- Sufficient evidence on skills of skills and understanding related to the processes of production design for film and/or tv productions
- In addition to or instead of the previous criteria, sufficient experience in professional or student film or tv productions
- Spatial understanding
- Artistic vision
- Visual storytelling abilities
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.