The MSc in Economics at the University of Barcelona (UB) is the perfect program for new graduated students to develop their research skills through a broad selection of courses entirely taught in English by our top researchers. Since this is a two-year Master, you will have the chance to get very solid methodological foundations and get specialized in some areas of interest at the same time.
On successfully completing this course, students can expect to find employment in a broad range of sectors, including higher education and economic consultancy. The strongest candidates are encouraged to undertake advanced research on the PhD Programme.
You might be interested on applying if you are looking for:
- Solid foundations to initiate independent research in economics.
- A wide range of advanced tools in the analysis and resolution of complex economic problems.
- Improvement on your skills to evaluate the effects of economic policies.
- Improvement on your decision making, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Better understanding and research communication skills.
- A programme that enables you to pursue a PhD programme.
This programme is designed to train researchers in the field of economics, so successful graduates are equipped to pursue research careers in universities, research centres, business schools, national and international economic institutions, consultancy firms and corporate training centres.
Our former students are employed in a wide range of public and private institutions: Ministry of the Economy and Finance (Generalitat de Catalunya), Inter-American Development Bank, CNMV, Bloomberg, Deloitte… Approximately half of students proceed to PhD programmes at UB or other leading institutions: NOVA School of Business and Economics, University of Chicago, University of Luxembourg, Lund UniversityCareer Support
The Career Services Office organises a vast number of events, some of them specially designed for the master’s students in Economics.
- Skills development workshops: job search strategies, professional value communication, CV writing…
- Employer-led events: consulting firms, public institucions, finance companies. Services available to graduate students include job vacancy information and internship opportunities.
The MSc in Economics at the University of Barcelona (UB) as been accredited with Excellence by the Universities Council which recognises outstanding achievements and performance.
- Mathematical Economics
- Public Economics
- Spatial Econometrics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business or a degree studies in other fields with solid maths foundations – such as mathematics, physics or engineering- with a satisfactory average grade.
- Proof of proficiency in English. Unless you are a native English speaker or have undertaken a university study programme in English, you need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. Preferred certificates are the Cambridge, TOEFL (Code C085 for all UB School of Economics programmes) or IELTS (at a B2 level or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or its equivalent). Please upload a copy of it in the application form.
- References. You need to indicate the name of two scholars that support your application. They will receive an automated email with general questions about your profile. Please, make sure they receive the email and answer the form within 10 days after your application.
International3952 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3952 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2767 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2767 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Beca General – Scholarship (Spanish Goverment)
- Beques de col·laboració – Internships (Spanish Goverment)
- Beques de col·laboració – Internships (AGAUR – Catalan Government)
- Beques de col·laboració – Internships (Universitat de Barcelona)
- Beques de col·laboració – Internships (Faculty of Economics and Business)
- UB Economics MSc TA Scholarships
- Teaching Assistantship (TA) – 9 months
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.