Taught in close cooperation with the École Normale Supérieure and Aarhus University, the Cognitive Sciences and Technologies: From Neuron to Cognition programme at National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) combines lectures with practical training at prominent laboratories in Moscow and at international partner institutions.
The Master's program offers courses in cognitive psychology, cognitive neuroscience and neuro-modelling.
Taken together these disciplines study how memories, emotions, cognition or consciousness actually work. Students attend lectures in English and practice in leading laboratories of Moscow and of our international partners.
Leading scientists supervise students' practical training and writing of Master's thesis during the second year. The program is carried out in close cooperation with the École Normale Supérieure and Aarhus University.
What are the advantages of this Master’s program comparing to similar ones?
We are the only English-language Master’s program in cognitive sciences in Russia. Our lecturers are active world-class scientists including the highly cited researchers in the fields of cognitive psychology, cognitive neuroscience, neuroeconomics, neurolinguistics and other interdisciplinary areas.
Thanks to our international partners’ laboratories students have an access to the whole range of neuroimaging techniques which provide unique opportunity for the development of young researchers.
Master’s program “Cognitive sciences and technologies: from neuron to cognition” gives proficiency in signal processing, statistical data analysis and in interpretation of neuronal mechanisms that underlie various cognitive processes. Students also gain skills of modeling behavior of complex systems such as ion channels, neuronal networks, etc.
Acquired knowledge may be applied in different areas, from fundamental research to biomedicine, biotechnologies and production management systems. Alumni of Master’s program “Cognitive sciences and technologies: from neuron to cognition” can continue their career in science or biomedical industry (i.e. in the project developing brain-computer interface), or in education. Professional skills gained during education on our program allows bright career in Russian academic institutions and abroad.
Graduates are prepared for jobs with:
- Research laboratories and international research centers
- Companies with projects devoted to optimizing and evaluating user’s interfaces
- Universities and schools
- Projects on brain-computer interface development
- Clinical applications (pre-surgery brain mapping)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Neuroimaging Techniques
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods in Psychology
- Linear Algebra
- Research Seminar "Cognitive Sciences"
- Theory and Methodology of Modern Psychology
- Introduction to Cognitive Science
- Behavioral Genetics and Neurogenetics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Nov 1-Aug 14: online applications may be submitted for preliminary selection; online (and in-person) candidate interviews will be held with programme teams
- Aug 14- Aug 28: submission of all supporting documents
- Aug 28: Deadline for signing agreements and enrollment forms
- Sept 1: Classes starting date depends on the choosen programme
- Dates apply to Moscow programmes only.
- Please note that some programmes begin on October 1.
DisciplinesBiology Neuroscience Cognitive Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International prospective students applying for Master's programmes at HSE University can now get a jump start on the admissions process and get a sense of their chances of being accepted to HSE. There is no need to wait till summer or to come to Moscow.
- Master's programmes in nine faculties, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Communications, Media and Design, the Faculty of Computer Science, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, the Faculty of Business and Management, the Institute of Demography and the Banking Institute, will conduct a preliminary online assessment of portfolios and hold online interviews. This will be particularly useful for those who wish to receive direct feedback from the programmes.
- The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a preliminary interview and portfolio evaluation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5520 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5520 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 390 000 RUB
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.