Philosophy is a unique 2-year master’s programme that aims to provide students with skills and knowledge of the research methods of contemporary philosophy. Students can choose from four specialisations: history of philosophy, practical philosophy, philosophy of science and theoretical philosophy (incl. analytic philosophy). The programme is focused on research: all students will work closely together with a supervisor who will help student design the programme based on the student’s interests; students can join many international research groups and conferences and students’ MA thesis has to be on article level.
What will students get from the programme?
- UT is ranked in the top 200 universities in the world in Philosophy (QS Rankings 2020)
- We will help you design an individual study plan considering your educational background and interests
- You can study this programme regardless of your previous educational background
- You can attend philosophy conferences and lectures (e.g. Frege lectures) by guest professors from all over the world
- Career possibilities in various fields including politics, administration, journalism and education. More than 50% of our graduates have entered prestigious PhD programmes around the world
International career prospective: graduates can continue their studies or work in any field from public sector to business and journalism.After completing the programme, the student:
- has acquired a systematic overview of the field of philosophy, is familiar with the theoretical developments, concepts, terms and methods of philosophical research, has in-depth knowledge in a chosen narrow field of research;
- is able to identify and independently formulate problems and research questions requiring expertise in philosophy;
- has presentation and argumentation skills required for participating in academic and non-academic discussions in oral and written English;
- has tolerant attitude towards diversity of values and opinions;
- understands the ethical aspects, possibilities, limits, and social functions of the philosopher's role; is able to suggest solutions based on specialized expertise.
- The student who has chosen the teacher specialisation is fully qualified to teach philosophy at the secondary school level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Master's students can choose to specialise in one of the following areas:
- Practical Philosophy: ethics, meta-ethics, applied ethics, bioethics, aesthetics, social- and political philosophy, philosophy of education;
- Theoretical Philosophy: philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, philosophy of logic, philosophy of psychology, epistemology, metaphysics, metaphilosophy, experimental philosophy;
- Philosophy of Science: general philosophy of science, philosophy of physics, philosophy of chemistry, philosophy of biology, social and cultural studies of science, social epistemology;
- History of Philosophy: Ancient Greek philosophy, Classical German philosophy, Modern philosophy.
Francesco Orsi, Programme Director
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- English language proficiency
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition waivers and monthly stipends are available for top-ranked applicants.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.