You will participate in a rich and culturally diverse teaching and learning environment and undertake two challenging placements, enabling you to apply your knowledge and hone your practical skills. During your studies, you will critically engage with the tensions and challenges of current practice, build a sophisticated knowledge of effective management approaches, debate how youth work and community development has responded to shifting government policies and learn how to support inclusive practice that can inspire positive social change.
This Youth Work and Community Development from Leeds Beckett University has been designed on the principles which promote social justice, and challenge injustice and inequality. Alongside the taught modules, you will be able take advantage of our professional development programme, which offers the chance to explore and understand recent developments in the field, exchange experiences with colleagues and practitioners and learn from one another. You will also gain an understanding of how to conduct research as a practitioner, and undertake an in-depth dissertation study.
By enhancing your ability to build trusting, professional relationships with troubled and challenging young people, coupled with proven experience of working in multi-agency settings, you will become an effective youth and community worker who will be sought after by employers.
- Youth Worker
- Community Development Worker
- Behavioural Support Worker
- Charity Project worker
Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Privy Council, Leeds Beckett University (LEEDS MET) is a large (uniRank enrollment range: 25,000-29,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Leeds Beckett University (LEEDS MET) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees in several areas of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Perspectives in Youth Work & Community Development
- Contemporary Approaches to Management, Leadership & Enterprise
- Personal & Professional Development (including 150-hour alternative placement)
- Promoting Inclusive Practice
- The Professional Practitioner - substantive placement (250 hours' minimum placement)
- Understanding Social Research & Evaluation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Most courses don't have fixed application deadlines. But, our courses are popular - they can fill up quickly. It's best to apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesSocial Work Psychology Community Development View 35 other Masters in Community Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should normally have at least a second class honours degree or have equivalent experience or training, normally from a work environment or from a voluntary setting environment. Applicants should demonstrate in their personal statement the relevant work or voluntary experience they have gained with young people or adults in a community related setting.
- All suitable candidates will be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process. All applications should be supported by a reference, you can download our reference template for completion.
- All applicants should satisfy our University English language requirements. Satisfactory enhanced criminal history checks will be required by all applicants prior to acceptance on the course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 GBP per year during 18 months.
National6500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 GBP per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.