Why study this course?
- The MRes is an excellent transition into research for applicants who already have a Theology or Religious Studies background and are exploring the possibility of future doctoral studies, a research or other academic career, or simply want to explore in detail a topic that they find particularly fascinating.
- The University of Birmingham is an excellent centre for the study of religion and culture. It has built up good relationships and partnerships with Birmingham's many different communities, and such a rich cultural mix means that it provides an ideal setting to study the relations between Religion and Culture.
- Times Higher Education ranked the Department of Theology and Religion second in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise, with over 50% of our research judged to be ‘world-leading’.
- The University of Birmingham has also been ranked as one of the world's top 30 institutions to study Theology and Religious Studies in the 2019 QS World University Rankings.
The Theology and Religion programme from University of Birmingham will provide excellent preparation for your future career, but this can also be enhanced by a range of employability support services offered by the University and the College of Arts and Law.
The University's Careers Network provides expert guidance and activities especially for postgraduates, which will help you achieve your career goals. The College of Arts and Law also has a dedicated careers and employability team who offer tailored advice and a programme of College-specific careers events.
You will be encouraged to make the most of your postgraduate experience and will have the opportunity to:
- Receive one-to-one careers advice, including guidance on your job applications, writing your CV and improving your interview technique, whether you are looking for a career inside or outside of academia
- Meet employers face-to-face at on-campus recruitment fairs and employer presentations
- Attend an annual programme of careers fairs, skills workshops and conferences, including bespoke events for postgraduates in the College of Arts and Law
- Take part in a range of activities to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers and enhance your CV
- Research Methods in Theology and the Study of Religion
- Approaches to the study of Islam
- Atheisms: From Voltaire to Dawkins
- Auschwitz in History and Memory
- Conceptualising God in Christian Theology
- Contemporary Issues in Sikhism
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 145 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases, form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National6540 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6540 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £3,270 part-time
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.