Studying at Karlsruhe School of Optics & Photonics (KSOP) stands for excellent education and combines academic instruction with soft skills. The intercultural campus of KSOP fosters the exchange of different nations and cultures.
Thanks to our partner industry program, we are aware of the requirements on graduates. Therefore, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) offers a M.Sc. Program in Optics and Photonics including laboratory courses, research projects, industry internships and German courses that is tailored to your individual needs. This prepares KSOP graduates for future careers in either industry or academia.
The Industry Network
KSOP prepares students and doctoral researchers for the labor market of the German and worldwide Optics & Photonics industry. The close cooperation to industry partners is of high value for industry on the one hand and KSOP students and doctoral researchers on the other hand. By gaining experiences in wellknown international companies via internships or Master’s thesis projects, students get in contact with potential future employers and prepare for their professional careers.
In 2021, KSOP became sustainably funded through the KIT by the Federal Ministry of Research and Education (BMBF) and the State of Baden-Württemberg.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Photonic Materials & Devices
- Quantum Optics & Spectroscopy
- Biomedical Photonics
- Optical Systems
- Solar Energy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- 1st Early: Jan. 8
- 2nd Early: Feb. 19
- 3rd Early: Mar. 26
- Regular for non-EU applicants: June 15
- Regular for EU and German applicants: Sep. 15
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics Mechanical Engineering View 45 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- High school diploma/school leaving certificate
- Bachelor Degree Certificate (If the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, candidates can apply with a preliminary transcript of records; the official translation may be in English or in German.)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation in English
- Recommendation letter(s) or commendatory letter(s) (At least one recommendation letter from a professor of your current university is needed. Two letters are highly recommended. Please forward this form for recommendation letters to the referees. The commendatory letters must be uploaded in the portal.)
- English language proficiency - English language proficiencies are mandatory for studying the KSOP Master´s program in "Optics & Photonics" and must be handed in during enrollment
- Proof of extracurricular involvement (May be in English or in German)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA308 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 154 EUR per semester during 24 months.
According to Article 3, LHGebG (Baden-Württemberg Act on State University Fees), international students (from non-EU countries) will have to pay tuition fees.
Living costs for Karlsruhe
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We offer a variety of scholarship opportunities. For more information, please visit our website: https://www.ksop.kit.edu/scholarships.php
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.