By taknig the Islamic Studies programme from University of Birmingham, you will have the opportunity engage with material that is at the forefront of contemporary academic research in Islamic Studies, and explore a range of topics in Islamic Studies that reflect the expertise of academic staff: this may typically include content with historical, sociological, contextual, legal, textual or philosophical emphases.
Why study this course?
- Flexibility – the range of options on offer allows you to study Islamic Studies in historical and/or contemporary contexts, to suit your areas of interest.
- Excellent reputation – Times Higher Education ranked the Department of Theology and Religion second in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise. The University of Birmingham has also been ranked as one of the world's top 50 institutions to study Theology and Religious Studies in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
- Extracurricular opportunities – you will be exposed to a variety of opportunities to enhance your student experience, including regular coffee mornings for staff and students, visiting speakers, lecture series and social events.
- Small classes – teaching on the Masters-level modules involve mainly small-group seminars allowing you to really get to grips with the learning material.
- The city – Birmingham is an ideal place to study Theology and Religion. The city is one of the most culturally and religiously diverse communities in Europe and the department has excellent relationships with the city’s faith communities.
- Approaches to Studying Islam
- Research Methods
- Conceptualising God in Christian Theologies
- Gender, Sexualities and Religion
- Critical Thinkers of Modernity, Science, Society and Religion
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Religious Studies & Theology Islamic Studies View 152 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
You will need an Honours degree in a relevant subject, normally of an upper second-class standard, or equivalent.
International21240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21240 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
UK: £4,905 part-time
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.