The notion that “politics matters” has increasingly become the mantra of development policy-makers and practitioners – as well as development scholars - and there is now a growing recognition that international development is inherently political.
Development agencies want staff trained in political economy analysis skills while academics and governments now focus more than ever on the political underpinnings of global development challenges.
The Development Policy and Politics programme at University of Birmingham is designed for recent graduates preparing to work in international development and for professionals working for NGOs, donor agencies or development projects.
The knowledge and skills gained in the programme will equip graduates for jobs in international, national and local government and non-governmental organisations, think tanks and consultancies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Development
- Development Politics
- Authoritarianism and Development
- Democracy and Development
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science View 53 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
- An upper second-class Honours degree or equivalent from an approved university or an equivalent professional qualification in a relevant field (the equivalent US Grade Point Average is 3.2)
- A lower second-class Honours degree from an approved university with excellent work experience
- Adequate capacity in written and spoken English
- Degrees from all disciplines are considered and a candidate's work experience can also be taken into consideration
International18450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU students: 4,625 GBP part-time
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.