Students can go on work placements and apply for Erasmus Mundus grants. This Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Photonics Engineering, Nanophotonics and Biophotonics (Europhotonics) programme is offered by Polytechnic University of Catalonia.
At present, there is a recognised shortage of manpower for both research-related posts and industrial jobs in photonics-related technologies. In addition, the creation of small, tech-based, spin-off photonics companies is requiring an ever greater number of specialised professionals. Students will be put in touch with photonics-related research groups at partner institutions, which offer doctoral programmes with EU grants.CompetenciesGeneric competencies
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.Specific competencies
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand and integrate advanced theoretical fundamentals of photonics, particularly in the fields of photonics engineering, nanophotonics and biophotonics.
- Approach research ideas, developments and applications in an original manner.
- Understand photonics as an interdisciplinary scientific and technological discipline that is connected to other disciplines such as physics, chemistry, biology, materials science and renewable energies.
- Interpret the main phenomena associated with optics/photonics and apply the knowledge and problem-solving skills acquired to theoretical, experimental and technological aspects of photonics.
- Apply the scientific method, integrate knowledge and be discriminating when they are reading photonics research and interpreting incomplete and sometimes apparently contradictory experimental, observational and theoretical data.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advance Spectroscopy
- Advanced Electromagnetics for Communications Engineering
- Advanced Mechanisms on Networks Security
- Advanced Molecular Cell Biology
- Advanced Quantum Optics with Applications
- Basic Molecular Cell Biology
- Basic Molecular Cell Biology
- Beam Propagation and Fourier Optics
- Building Optomechanical Systems
- Business and Patents in Photonics
- Electromagnetics and Numerical Calculation of Fields
- Electronic Devices Modelling
- Emc in Electronic Design
- Evaluation of Packet Switched Networks
- Experimental Optical Techniques in Biology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMolecular Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 25 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- All applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Suitability of the student’s prior qualifications and learning in relation to the content of the master’s degree.
- Academic record.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Motivation letter and two letters of recommendation.
- Certificate of English language skills at a level above B2.
International5150 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10300 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5800 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.