By taking the Food Quality and Innovation programme from University of Leeds you will develop in-depth specialist knowledge of scientific techniques and practical skills in the assessment and control of food quality, food safety, product design and new product development.
In addition to industrial monitoring of quality, you will also study industry standard techniques and international standards in quality and safety management, as well as the impact of EU law and legislation on food products.
Our graduates are in big demand and food companies come to Leeds to recruit the best talent. Some of our past graduates hold key positions in the food industry and government agencies.
There are many opportunities open to you within the food industry, from jobs in nutrition and new product development to roles in the supply chain, purchasing, logistics and distribution. You may decide to become a development scientist, working on new foodstuffs and producing food which is safe and nutritious with a consistent flavour, colour and texture. There are roles within this area in industry, but also within government and local authority food inspection departments.
Other job roles include industrial buyer, retail buyer, production manager or quality assurance manager.
Here are some examples of the roles that our graduates are now in:
- Innovation Technologist, Kerry Foods
- NPD Technologist, Scheff Foods Ltd
- R&D Food Technologist, Shanghai 21Cake Food Co
- NPD & Quality Control Executive, ID Fresh Food (India)
- Quality Control Analyst, Mundipharma Pte Ltd
- QA Technician, Newsholmes Food
- Sampling Officer, Food Experts S.L.
- Quality Assurance Support, Wharfe Bank Brewery
- Food Technologist, CK Foods Processings Ltd
- Lab Technician, Arla Foods
- Microbiological and Chemical Food Safety
- Food Processing
- Structure and Function of Food Components
- Food Analysis
- Food Product Development
- Sensory Science
- Food Quality Assurance and Control
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Food Sciences View 108 other Masters in Food Sciences in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (Hons) or equivalent qualification in a relevant science subject, usually including modules in food processing and/or engineering.
- All key modules should also have strong grades (none below 2:2 UK equivalent). Please check your marks using international equivalent qualifications. We will ask for further detailed module information if these are not clear on your transcript.
- We expect all applicants to provide a supporting statement indicating a career aim or interest in food product development, knowledge of which is the key objective of this degree.
- Food related industry and/or research experience is welcomed, but not essential, and can also be considered alongside a relevant science degree.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.