Practical skills will include sessions on fermentation, molecular biology, functional genetics and genomics, cell biology and protein chemistry, and you will go on to complete a major, supervised laboratory or computer-based research project.
Transferable skills gained via this programme will include written and oral presentation skills, statistics, and the ability to plan and write a grant application or a business plan. Subject-specific skills will include key techniques used in molecular biotechnology, specialist knowledge in theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, including: process engineering, molecular biology, functional genomics, 'omics' technologies, protein expression systems and antibody engineering. Practical skills will include fermentation, molecular biology, immunology, cell biology and protein chemistry.
Graduates from this Molecular Biotechnology programme offered by the University of Birmingham will be well-placed for future careers in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, biomedical and other science-based industries, many of which are undergoing a period of rapid international growth.
The programme was designed in consultation with a senior scientist in a global pharmaceutical company, and includes relevant applied elements such as modules on product development and business plans, in addition to those covering the scientific aspects of the subject.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Techniques in Molecular Biotechnology
- Practical Applications of Molecular Biotechnology
- Functional Genomics and Reverse Genetics
- Funding Science
- Pharmaceuticals & Therapeutic Biologicals from Bench to Market
- Research project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Molecular Sciences View 113 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in United Kingdom
- This programme is designed for UK and international graduates who have an appropriate Life Sciences background, with a suitable degree in the Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences.
- Graduates should have a minimum of a lower second class Honours degree (or the equivalent from outside the UK) in a Biosciences subject including at least 40 credits or equivalent of appropriate molecular biology (including gene cloning) and some genetics as part of their first degree.
International24480 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24480 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10260 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10260 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.