The Cultural Heritage Studies program at Central European University (CEU) combines theoretical approaches to cultural heritage with practical knowledge through fieldwork and internships at heritage organizations. The result is hands-on, thorough academic training that prepares future heritage experts and practitioners with a critical understanding of the historical, social, policy and management aspects of tangible, intangible and environmental heritage.
The faculty’s expertise crosses borders and disciplines. They include anthropologists specializing in African and American cultures, international heritage law experts as well as historians and archeologists with experience in European and Asian projects.
CEU students come from a variety of backgrounds, such as historical studies, creative and performing arts, architecture and urban development, sociology and management. They can choose from two streams of study:
- Academic Research and Protection of Cultural Heritage or
- Cultural Heritage Management and Policy.
In addition to coursework at the Vienna campus, students may also take advantage of academic activities and resources available on CEU’s Budapest campus.
Spark your career
Graduates typically find jobs at research bodies, governments, international organizations, heritage institutions and NGOs. The Cultural Heritage Studies Program degree should be broadly convertible; future professionals might include policy and management experts, urbanists, environmental professionals, architects, art historians, archaeologists, cultural anthropologists, museum curators, archivists, librarians, conservators of artifacts and monuments, and so on.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Research Resources for Cultural Heritage Studies
- Adaptive Heritage Reuse: Policy and Practice
- The Anthropology of Heritage
- Cultural Heritage Project and Event Management
- Cultural Heritage Studies Thesis Writing Seminar
- Ethical Issues in Cultural Heritage
- Historiography of Cultural Heritage
- Legal and Institutional Protection of Cultural Heritage
- Advanced Thesis Writing Seminar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 11 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Minimum three-year bachelor’s degree in any field of the humanities, management studies, architecture or in a natural or cultural heritage-related subject
- Academic records
- Project proposal
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2019-2020, 82% of CEU students received financial aid. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.