Earn a degree accredited in Austra and the US
The Cultural Heritage Studies program at Central European University (CEU) combines theoretical approaches to cultural heritage with practical knowledge through fieldwork and internships at heritage organizations. The result is hands-on, thorough academic training that prepares future heritage experts and practitioners with a critical understanding of the historical, social, policy and management aspects of tangible, intangible and environmental heritage.
The faculty’s expertise crosses borders and disciplines. They include historians and archeologists with experience in European and Asian projects, international critical heritage experts involved in EU projects and anthropologists specializing in African and European cultures.
CEU students come from a variety of backgrounds, such as historical studies, creative and performing arts, architecture and urban development, sociology and management.
CHOOSE FROM 2 STREAMS OF STUDY
- Academic Research and Protection of Cultural Heritage or
- Cultural Heritage Management and Policy
SPARK YOUR CAREER
40% Education and Research
- Universite de Lausanne
- University of Zambia
- University of Warsaw
- HÉTFA Research Institute
25% Arts, Media, Journalism, Sports, Entertainment and Production
- Ludwig Museum - Museum of Contemporary Art
- National Archives of Hungary
- National Museums and Monuments of Zimbabwe
- Pro Progressione
15% Government, Law, International Affairs and Public Policy
- Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs, Bhutan
- Ministry of Tourism, Environment and Culture in the Kingdom of Lesotho
10% Activism, Philanthropy, Social Impact, International Development and Humanitarian Aid
- Culinary Tourism Alliance, Canada
10% Business, Finance, Consulting, Management, Manufacturing and Sales
* Art historian, curator * Art instructor * Researcher * Heritage officer * Curator of archeology *
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
- Introduction to Research Resources for Cultural Heritage Studies
- Adaptive Heritage Reuse: Policy and Practice
- The Anthropology of Heritage
- Cultural Heritage Project and Event Management
- Cultural Heritage Studies Thesis Writing Seminar
- Ethical Issues in Cultural Heritage
- Historiography of Cultural Heritage
- Legal and Institutional Protection of Cultural Heritage
- Interpreting History and Heritage
- Operations Management of Cultural Institutions
- Public Engagement for Cultural Heritage Organizations
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 11 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Minimum three-year bachelor’s degree in any field of the humanities, management studies, architecture or in a natural or cultural heritage-related subject
- Academic records
- Project proposal
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world. This is why the university offers generous financial aid, based on a combination of merit and need, including tuition awards and scholarships with stipends, available to students from any country.
In 2020-2021, 81% of CEU students received financial aid. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.