Reflecting our teaching and research strengths in this important area of economics, the MSc in International Economics at University of Birmingham will give you a clear understanding of our world economy.
Exposure to the various theoretical constructs and empirical analyses within this sub-discipline, as well as other core and optional modules, you will be equipped with the analytic and quantitative skills necessary to examine recent developments in the global economy – particularly those with implications for policy.
Why study this programme?
Studying on one of the Department’s MSc programmes will provide you with an excellent set of specialist and transferable skills. You will be given an advanced training in core areas of economics that are widely used in economics-based professions and, depending on which degree programme you are studying on, you will also receive specialist training in areas relevant to your programme and take options in other areas that interest you.
Another aim within the Department of Economics is to provide students with the necessary skills to succeed when they leave Birmingham. To this end, we believe that students and staff work together to ensure students receive the best intellectual training possible and that they develop personal skills which are transferable to the job market.
This means that you, as a postgraduate student, have to take responsibility for your education and degree, just as we, as staff, have an obligation to do our best to provide you with the best education we can. It is this teamwork which guarantees that you will enjoy your time here and gain the most from it. Reading and using this handbook is the first step towards ensuring a successful partnership between you and the staff of the Department.
At the end of your year studying with us, you will be equipped with the skills you will need to embark on a career in economics or finance, or to enter another profession, requiring the valuable transferable skills and insights obtained from an economics-related Masters degree. We also hope that some of you will want to stay in the department to study for a research degree.
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills.
At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
- Career review and objective setting
- Job-seeking strategies
- CV review
- Application advice
- Interview and selection advice
- Working in the UK
- International work enquiries
More informationVisit official programme website
- Econometrics with Trade Applications
- International Trade Policy
- International Trade Theory
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEconomics International Relations View 445 other Masters in Economics in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 bachelor’s Honours degree (or overseas equivalent) in Economics or a related discipline
- You are expected to have received a good training in economics, to at least intermediate level, and to have taken at minimum: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics or Statistics, and Mathematics or a Quantitative module at bachelor’s level
International20070 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20070 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
- If you're an English-resident, or EU student, you may be eligible for a loan to study a taught or research Masters in any subject. The government-backed student loan will provide up to £10,280
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.