In the discipline of nursing, specialization occurs academically at the graduate level. The Master of Science in Nursing, MSN program at Ferris State University, with specialty concentration options for advanced leadership roles, provides educational opportunities for bachelor prepared nurses who seek career mobility options in new and exciting areas of leadership within the profession.
The graduate degree in nursing is intended to build upon the bachelor's degree and provides the student with three specialty concentration options. The specialty advanced leadership concentrations all support professional roles that are in very high demand within the discipline of nursing at the present time. These focused advanced leadership role options include: nursing education, nursing administration, and nursing informatics.
The MSN degree offers three specialty concentration options, depending on the professional career goal of the graduate student:
- Nursing Education: The current and anticipated shortage of nursing faculty reflects the general shortage in the nursing profession. The average age of current nursing faculty is 55, heralding a need to replace current faculty as they retire in large numbers over the next several years. If you have ever considered entering the academic setting as a nurse educator, this degree can be your first step to attaining that goal.
- Nursing Administration: The demand for nurses with a grounded theory base in business administration continues to increase in the health care delivery system. The basic BSN program prepares nurses for entry-level positions in nursing or health care management settings. Those nurses who desire to hold executive positions in those same settings must possess the knowledge and skills that are critical to the administrative role in these tumultuous times in the health care industry.
- Nursing Informatics: The area of nursing informatics is a growing specialty that many nurses are recognizing as an area of marked career growth in the past few years. This new practice area addresses the burgeoning need for experts who have a health care background, such as nursing, to manage the continuous expansion of information technology in the health care setting. The use of technology in the storage, dissemination and utilization of patient data has become a constantly evolving challenge for the health care industry.
The MSN program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN.)
- Advanced Nursing Roles
- Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Health Care Systems, Policy, & Advocacy
- Critique of Evidence for Practice
- Quality Improvement & Safety
- Clinical Prevention & Population Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Nursing View 755 other Masters in Nursing in United States
- A bachelor of science in nursing is required for the nursing education track. A bachelor of science in nursing or a bachelor degree in a related field from a regionally accredited university is required for the nursing administration or nursing informatics track.
- Licensure as a registered nurse.
International30900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1030 USD per credit during 12 months.
National20580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 686 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State20580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 686 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Big Rapids
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Ferris Statewide Endowed Scholarship: All students enrolled in an off-campus, site–based, undergraduate program for at least six credit hours are eligible to apply.
Ferris Statewide Freshman Achievement Scholarship: This scholarship will be automatically awarded to the first 25 students who meet the scholarship criteria.
Ferris Statewide Adult Learner Life Changing Scholarship: This scholarship will be awarded to the first 25 newly admitted students who meet the scholarship criteria and submit all application materials.
Ferris Statewide Transfer Achievement Scholarship: This scholarship will be automatically awarded to the first 75 students who meet the scholarship criteria.
The Roberta Teahen Scholarship: Students wishing to be considered for this scholarship must be admitted to and enrolled at a Ferris State University Statewide (off-campus) location for at least 5 credit hours.
Ferris/GRCC Assist Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate student enrolled with both Ferris State University and Grand Rapids Community College.
Digital Animation and Game Design Student Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a Ferris student majoring in Digital Animation and Game Design, to be used exclusively for educational expenses.
Digital Media Software Engineering Student Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a Ferris student majoring in Digital Media Software Engineering, to to be used exclusively for educational expenses.
Grand Rapids Endowed Scholarship Student Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a Ferris student admitted to any Grand Rapids program, full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate student, to be used exclusively for educational expenses.
Industrial Technology & Management Student Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a Ferris student majoring in Industrial Technology and Management, to be used exclusively for educational expenses.
Molecular Diagnostics Annual Scholarship: A scholarship will be awarded to a Ferris student majoring in Molecular Diagnostics and attending classes at the Grand Rapids campus, to be used exclusively for educational expenses.
Alumni Board Scholarship: The College of Education and Human Services Alumni Board annually offers four scholarshipsfor which students apply. Members of the Alumni Board evaluate student applications on the basis of their academic records, leadership potential, service to Ferris State University, and written essays.
Millard J. and Ida Quinlan Scholarship: Mr. Millard Quinlan and his sister, Ida, were Michigan teachers for over thirty years. In recognition of their excellence in teaching, the Quinlan Scholarship funds up to 25% of tuition and other educational related expenses to academically successful students from Luce, Mackinaw, and Chippewa Counties.
Scott D. Whitener Memorial, Dean’s Excellence in Education Scholarship: Dr. Whitener, the former Dean of the College of Education, was known throughout Michigan for his commitment to students, innovation, and excellence. He was very active and engaged throughout his career to ensure that Ferris State University students succeed. This scholarship honors the late Dr. Whitener and supports students who demonstrate achievement and leadership.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.