The Diversity and the Media course from University of Westminster will give you the opportunity to study and research the main ways in which social scientists analyse the role of the mass media in the social construction, representation and understanding of difference and social diversity and get a critical understanding of the social and media structures and journalistic practices that impact upon these processes. It will also equip you with practical skills that will enable you to produce your own media product on a topic related to social and cultural diversity.
The course combines a portfolio of theory modules aimed to develop your knowledge and critical understanding of the processes of managing and making sense of cultural diversity, key issues in intercultural communication and of various aspects of the sociology of news with a number of practice-oriented modules intended to give you first hand experience in the practice of inclusive journalism.
Drawing upon this unique combination of rigorous theoretical engagement and specialist practical training, this course is designed to equip you with a comprehensive conceptual/theoretical grounding and the practical skills to engage in responsible media coverage of diversity, to practice culturally informed and inclusive journalism and to develop a career (whether practical, strategic, or research-based) involving understanding and responding to the challenges of social diversity.
- Graduates of the Diversity and the Media MA are able to work in a wide range of sectors and professions. This MA will benefit those seeking a competitive edge in a careers market that values high-level skills in communication, journalism, research and critical thinking. This course will be of particular interest to those who plan to work in the creative industries, in journalism across different platforms, as well as those already working in this field. It will also benefit students that want to work or are already working in non-profit sectors, including NGOs and advocacy groups. It also provides an excellent preparation for those planning to continue their studies to PhD level.The University’s Careers and Employability Service has built up a network of over 3,000 employers around the world, helping all our students explore and connect with exciting opportunities and careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Approaches to Social and Cultural Diversity
- Diversity in the Media: Models, Institutions, Practices
- Advanced Independent Study
- Journalism Practice and Inclusive Society
- Digital Media Production
- Issues in Journalism: Freedom, Ethics and the Law
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 199 other Masters in Digital Communication in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Westminster and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of an upper second class honours degree (2:1) or a lower second class honours degree (2:2) with a relevant degree or work experience. Interviews are by skype.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK PT tuition fee: £950 (Price per 20-credit module)
- International PT tuition fee: £1900 (Price per 20-credit module)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.