The MA English Language and Linguistics degree offered at the University of Westminster will enable you to understand and evaluate critically a wide spectrum of ideas put forward in the study of the English language (particularly in connection with linguistic variation in terms of space, time, communicative context and linguistic contact) and will equip you with the intellectual perspectives and the scholarly skills that will prepare you to conduct independent research.
The English Language and Linguistics MA is suitable for students who have taken English language and/or linguistics modules at undergraduate level, and others who have taken allied disciplines such as psychology, philosophy or TESOL. It is of particular interest to those wishing to pursue further study and those teaching English who wish to gain a further qualification and investigate recent and current developments in the field.
- The English Language and Linguistics MA will provide you with sophisticated analytical skills and a widely applicable knowledge base, which will enable you to study at MPhil or PhD levels with a view to pursuing an academic career. The course is also particularly relevant to teaching English as a first or foreign language, and to a range of professions involving language and communication.
- While studying the MA, you will also benefit from the careers workshops organised by the departmental employability coordinator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English Language in Use: Time, Texts and Contexts
- English Worldwide
- Analysing Spoken and Written Discourse
- Current Developments in Language Teaching
- Intercultural Communication
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 462 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum of a lower second class honours degree (2:2) in a relevant discipline including English language, linguistics or TESOL.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview (either face to face or via Skype).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK PT tuition fee: £3,750 (Price per academic year)
- International PT tuition fee: £7,000 (Price per academic year)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.