This postgraduate degree in Rural Science from University of New England offers a supportive program of independent research related to practical and sustainable production of food and fibre.
Why study the Master of Rural Science with UNE?
Our Master of Rural Science provides a program of independent, supervised research for high-calibre graduates that will enable you to make an advanced contribution to scholarship in a scientific field of knowledge related to the provision of food and fibre for world needs. We have active research programs in livestock production efficiency and carbon management, integrated animal health and welfare, livestock and product quality, soil science, soil pollution, organic farming, terrestrial carbon, cotton and grains, weed science and sustainable farming.
Our academics are at the forefront of innovation, leading research and development into agricultural sciences and agricultural systems. With a science-based, practical approach to problem solving at farm, catchment and industry level, our Master of Rural Science graduates are renowned for effectively developing and communicating solutions for all levels of rural production and agricultural systems.
Our research facilities are world class. You will have access to the latest state-of-the-art infrastructure and technology for research at our innovative SMART Farms, laboratories and glasshouse facilities to develop science-based innovation to provide solutions for industry, now and into the future.
UNE is Australia's longest continuous provider of distance (online) education. We're here to help you adapt to a rapidly-evolving world with skills and knowledge to prepare you for professional opportunities.
Agricultural scientists are in high demand. Your career opportunities could include:
- research organisations, e.g. CSIRO, DAWE, ABARES
- state government agencies
- agricultural planning and advisory consultants
- commercial agricultural research providers
- universities and research institutes.
- The candidate shall present for examination a thesis in a format approved by the Committee embodying the results of the MRurSc work.
- The thesis, exclusive of appendices, shall not exceed 30,000 words. In special cases these limits may be exceeded on the recommendation of the Principal Supervisor and Head of School and approval of the Committee
- A thesis must be in English unless the Committee has approved otherwise.
- The sources from which the information is derived, the extent to which the work of others has been used and to which the assistance of individuals, associations or institutions has been obtained, must be acknowledged generally in a preface, specifically in notes, a bibliography or appendices, and must be, throughout the thesis, shown clearly and fully by appropriate references.
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Agriculture Environmental Sciences View 80 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Code 000449M
Admission to candidature in the degree of Master of Rural Science (MRurSc) may be approved by the Committee only when the Head of School has:
- certified that the necessary facilities and appropriate support for the applicant undertaking the proposed MRurSc program are available; and
- nominated an appropriate Principal Supervisor and Co-supervisor(s) in accordance with the Supervisors
The Committee may, on the recommendation of the relevant Head of School, admit to candidature into the course for the degree of Master of Rural Science (MRurSc) an applicant who:
- has a degree of Bachelor with at least second class honours (AQF Level 8) or equivalent; or
- has a degree at AQF Level 7 or equivalent and has adequate relevant preparation since graduation. Adequate relevant preparation may be gained by an approved academic course, professional training, during an occupation or through peer reviewed publications.
International33856 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33856 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Armidale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.