The emergence of the Law of the Sea Convention and establishment of Exclusive Economic Zones has given coastal states extensive and comprehensive rights and obligations over marine resources in vast areas of ocean. Wise management of ocean resources is essential if the full economic potential of these new entitlements is to be realised. To ensure the continuing biological productivity of these areas, the level and type of development of activities such as waste dumping, mineral extraction, recreation, industrial and urban growth, fisheries and aquaculture, need to be controlled, and interactions of these often conflicting activities resolved by management.
Careers after Marine Environmental Protection programme from Bangor University
- Public Sector, e.g. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Waterways Board, County Councils, Fisheries Protection Committee, National Rivers Authority/Environment Agency, EEC Environmental Commission.
- Private Sector, e.g. Aquatic consultancies specialising in survey and environmental impact assessment, aquaculture, oil industry, mining, instrument development, informatics and computing.
- Voluntary organisations such as World Wide Fund for Nature, Greenpeace, Wildlife Trusts, RSPCA, Royal Geographical Society.
- Higher Education and Research, e.g. Doctorate Research, Research Assistants, University Lecturing, British Antarctic Survey, Field Centre teaching assistants.
- Overseas students return to comparable posts overseas.
- UK students employed overseas in comparable posts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Marine Ecology Skills
- Marine Fisheries
- Coastal Habitat Ecology and Survey
- Marine Environmental Impacts and their Assessment
- Marine Conservation and Coastal Zone Management
- Research Project design and Planning
- Research Project and Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- The University will accept applications throughout the year, but we would generally advise that you send in your application form by the end of June (for September intake).
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Aquaculture & Fisheries Ecology View 60 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Entry to the MSc/Diploma Marine Environmental Protection requires a 2(ii) undergraduate Honours degree in a Biological Science (e.g. Biology, Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Conservation, Marine Biology).
- Applicants from other science subject areas or with relevant employment experience are encouraged to apply, provided that they can demonstrate evidence of motivation and experience in their Personal Statement and CV.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.