The Master of Counselling at University of New England aims to equip students with mastery of specialised counselling skills.
Emphasis is given to producing university-qualified, registered counsellors who are ethical, self-reflexive, and committed to lifelong learning and ongoing professional development.
Combining online study with mandatory intensive schools in a blended learning format, the course is ideally suited to individuals with a prior degree in any discipline wishing to gain an industry-recognised qualification whilst continuing to meet their work and family commitments. As part of the award, students can complete either the Generalist Counselling Pathway or the Counselling Placement Pathway which involves 40 hours of face-to-face counselling; 10 hours of clinical supervision and 150 hours of agency-based activities. The course provides a pathway to the UNE Doctor of Philosophy for those students who meet the other entry requirements to that program.
The Master of Counselling is accredited by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA), a national peak association, and Australia's largest single registration body for counsellors and psychotherapists. Student membership with the ACA is available while undertaking the course, with professional membership eligibility after graduation. Graduates who engage in ongoing professional development are also eligible to be listed on the Australian Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (ARCAP), an independent national register of qualified counsellors and psychotherapists.
Enhanced employment opportunities within the public, private and community counselling, health, education and human services sectors as well as private practice.
- Foundations of Inquiry in Health and Social Care
- Methods for Inquiry in Health and Social Care
- Capstone Project
- Integrative Counselling Skills
- Integrative Counselling Theory
- Group Work in Counselling
- Relationship Counselling
- Clinical Assessment and Case Conceptualisation
- Supervision Theory and Practice
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCounselling View 27 other Masters in Counselling in Australia
- (a) hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification; or
- (b) hold the 2015-2018 AQF Level 8 Graduate Diploma in Counselling from the University of New England; or
- (c) hold the 2019-onwards AQF Level 8 Graduate Diploma in Counselling from the University of New England; or
- (d) hold an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma or AQF Level 9 Masters or AQF Level 10 Doctorate degree in any relevant* discipline; or
- (e) satisfy UNE by means of other relevant* professional experience by submitting a Statement of Service from your employer/s and a resume outlining a minimum of three years' full-time (or equivalent) relevant* professional experience and training undertaken in the past 10 years.
International27300 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27300 AUD per year and a duration of 72 months.
National fee-$31,656 Cost based on unit prices
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!