By investigating how policy is made, from development to deployment, and identifying the challenges that lie in public organisations throughout developing countries, you'll be able to provide solutions that make a difference.
Graduates of the International Development course from University of York have gone on to work for development charities, parliament and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, as well as many other international organisations, both public and private.
You'll be taught by academics at the forefront of research across a number of political areas such as conflict, security and development, political economy, international politics, political theory and public policy.
Careers and skills
The skills you'll acquire through the study of public administration and international development will leave you well prepared for further study or work in a wide range of sectors, from social and political research to journalism, marketing and HR.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for a large variety of organisations:
- Civil Service/Home Office/House of Commons
- United Nations
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Professional services/Accountancy firms - notably PwC, EY, KPMG
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Development charities including the International Committee of the Red Cross
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of the Policy Process
- Managing Public Finances delivered by the York Management School
- Theories and Policies of Development Governance
- Strategic Planning
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesPublic Administration International Development View 67 other Masters in Public Administration in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent. We are willing to consider applicants with lower qualifications, particularly if you have high marks in relevant modules and/or appropriate professional experience. Additional information may be requested.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.