With a full programme of workshops and critical study, this Creative Writing (Distance Learning) course at Kingston University offers you the chance to work on your own writing in different genres with the support of published practitioners.Delivered by Distance Learning, this Creative Writing MA helps you to develop the craft of creative writing, either on a general level or through specialising in your chosen genre. Taught in virtual forums and classrooms, your studies can suit your schedule, and you will not have to relocate or give up your job. You will learn the elements of fiction, poetry and drama as well as studying relevant critical theory and trying out your own fictional experiments
Some of our departmental graduates have achieved notable successes, having published short stories and novels which were started as part of their degree, and attracted good literary agents, for example:
- Oyinkan Braithwaite's novel, My Sister the Serial Killer, reviewed by The New Yorker and BBC Radio 4's Open Book and Front Row, has won the Crime and Thriller book of the year at the British Book Awards; Oyinkan is the first black woman to do so.
- Grainne Murphy has recently signed a two-book deal with Legend Press. Her debut novel, Where the Edge Is, was published in September 2020, with The Ghostlights to be published in 2021.
- Amy Clarke has signed a two-book deal. Like Clockwork is a psychological suspense novel about a true crime podcast host who is obsessively trying to solve the decades-old cold case of a notorious Minnesotan serial killer whose victims were each one year younger than the last. It is due to be published in March/April 2021 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, with a second book to follow.
- A story Seraphina Madsen wrote for the MA Critical Challenges module was published in the UK's pre-eminent literary journal, The White Review, and secured her an agent and a book deal.
- Myriad Editions also run a writing competition each year aimed at finding new writers, with MFA student Karly Stilling winning in 2015. This year the award was won by another current Kingston student, Sylvia Carr. Former MA (now PhD student) Joseph Pierson was a recent runner up.
- Julia Lewis is a former MFA student and experimental poet who has gone on to publish a wide range of work. She also rewrote MA tutor James Miller's novel Lost Boys as a collection of experimental poetry.
- Stefan Mohamed won the Dylan Thomas Prize and has gone to have a successful career as a writer of YA fiction.
- MA student Vicky Newham signed a two book deal for her crime series. Vicky is on the Daggers longlist for the best crime novel by a first-time author.
- Faiqa Mansab published her debut novel This House of Clay and Water in Pakistan and India to great acclaim and it has been optioned by the talented Sheherzade Sheikh for screen adaptation.
- Other former students have gone on to work in editorial posts in the publishing industry.
- Special Study: Workshops in Popular Genre Writing
- Structure and Style
- Writers' Workshop
- Critical Challenges for Creative Writers
- Issues of Voice, Imagery, Tone and Characterisation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, applications will close when the course is full.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Linguistics View 51 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We normally expect applicants to have:
- a second class degree or above, or equivalent, in creative writing, English literature, literature and language, drama or theatre studies or a similar subject; and/or
- a demonstrable interest in creative writing.
- You must also submit a 3,000-word sample of creative writing, a personal statement (1,000 words).
International15800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9620 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9620 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK students tuition fees:
- MSc part time £5,291
- MSc part time £8,690
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.