On this course, you'll learn the biomechanics, physiology and psychology that underpins performance enhancement. You'll develop applied techniques, practical skills and research expertise which show how scientific support can be integrated into the world of top-level sport.
We'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your professional practice. Once you graduate, you'll be able to pursue a career in sports performance with professional sports clubs, national sports organisations and private clinics.
On this course, you'll:
- Develop an interdisciplinary approach to enhancing and maintaining sports performance
- Understand the techniques used to assess team and individual performance
- Use your laboratory and field-based skills including notational systems, performance profiling and dynamical systems, to assess and evaluate sports performance
- Learn to communicate with clients in a professional and approachable style
- Study key topics like Applied Sports Biomechanics, and Environmental Factors Affecting Sports Performance
- Have 24/7 access to our library's electronic resources, including thousands of ejournals, books and newspapers
- Get to use our biomechanics, physiology, psychology and kinanthropometry labs, with professional facilities
When you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career in areas such as teaching, sports development, science support and the health and fitness sectors. During your studies, you can also choose to work toward BASES accreditation as a sport and exercise scientist, and you'll have the theoretical basis for further academic research.
Our previous graduates have gone on to work for organisations including:
- national governing bodies
- sports agencies
- local authorities
- UK Sport
- primary care trusts
- county sports partnership
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules include:
- MSc Research Development and Practice
Options to choose from currently include:
- Applied Performance Analysis
- Applied Sports Biomechanics
- Applied Sports Physiology
- Applied Sports Psychology
- Humans in Extreme Environments
- MSc Professional Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApply anytime.
Make your application as soon as possible.
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 321 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum of a 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants who hold a non-related degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For those who do not hold a degree or relevant professional qualification, extensive experience together with evidence of scholarly ability will be required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.