On this MSc course, you'll learn the biomechanics, physiology and psychology that underpins performance enhancement. You'll develop applied techniques, practical skills and research expertise which show how scientific support can be integrated into the world of top-level sport.
The UK is Europe’s leading market for sport and sports tech with sport and physical activity contributing £39 billion to the UK’s economy. The global sports market is expected to reach $707.84 billion in 2026. The UK’s globally renowned sporting events provide many career opportunities and we’ll provide the expertise and support that will enable you to pursue a career in sports performance with professional sports clubs, national sports organisations and private clinics, or develop your own professional practice.
During your studies, you can choose to work toward British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) accreditation as a sport and exercise scientist.
- Develop an interdisciplinary approach to enhancing and maintaining sports performance and understanding the techniques used to measure team and individual performance
- Hear from, and network with, industry insiders such as the English Institute of Sport
- Use your laboratory and field-based skills to conduct multidisciplinary analysis of athlete performance including notational systems, performance profiling, assessing physiological determinants of performance and motion capture
- Learn to communicate with clients in a professional and approachable style
- Study key topics in high-growth employment areas like sports biomechanics and performance analysis
- Use our professional facilities in biomechanics, physiology, psychology and performance testing
- Benefit from our outstanding new Ravelin Sports Centre, designed to be one of the UK’s most sustainable sports facilities
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career in areas such as teaching, sports development, science support and the health and fitness sectors.
This course will also give you the theoretical basis for further academic research – you could go on to do a ProfDoc in Sport Exercise and Health Science or Sport and Exercise Psychology.
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- Fitness and Health Manager
- Sports Physiologist
- Personal Trainer
- Performance Analyst
- Sports Coach
- Sports Physiologist
- Wellbeing Personal Trainer
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- Lotus Strength and Fitness
- Nuffield Health
- English Institute of Sport
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Applied Sports Physiology - 30 credits
Applied Performance Analysis - 30 credits
Applied Sports Biomechanics - 30 credits
Applied Sports Psychology - 30 credits
MSc Research Development and Practice - 60 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 188 other Masters in Sports Management in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A minimum of an upper second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants who hold a non-related degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For those who do not hold a degree or relevant professional qualification, extensive experience together with evidence of scholarly ability will be required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.